Crime Tips and Prevention
For a crime to occur, an opportunity has to exist and a motivated criminal has to be present. Help prevent crime by taking informed steps to make your neighborhood, business, and family safe and resistant to crime and unattractive to criminals.
- Avoid confrontations with burglars.
- Lock all doors, even if you are at home.
- If you are leaving for vacation, make sure your house doesn’t look empty. Make it look like it is lived in. Activate timers for light switches, and order a temporary hold to newspaper and mail delivery, or ask a trusted neighbor or friend to pick up items delivered to your home daily.
- Do not throw away papers that have your personal information on them without tearing or shredding them.
- Guard your mail from being stolen. Remove mail from your box shortly after it has been delivered.
Keep Kids Safe
- Warn children about “stranger danger”
- Know who your kids are talking to on social networks such as Facebook.
For additional Crime Prevention Tips please visit the National Crime Prevention Council's website at: http://www.ncpc.org/ or the Texas Crime Prevention Association website at: http://tcpa.org/